Portable Sewer Flow Metering Device
YES Technologies is proud to announce the commercialization of another technology developed with funding from the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program.
Check out the new web site http://www.yestech.com/renaissance.
To purchase a DataGator or to inquire into sub-licensing opportunities, contact:
- Renaissance Instruments, Inc.
- 2555 North IH-35, Suite 300
- Round Rock, TX 78664
- Phone: (512) 388-9270
- Fax: (512) 388-9272
- contact us
Fully portable, precalibrated and easily installed flow metering device capable of accurate
measurement in all sewer and storm water flow conditions.
- Greater accuracy -- with error factors as low as three percent of full scale (at open channel and
full pipe flow operating conditions), compared to ten percent and higher for velocity-area
flowmeters. This device offers greater performance accuracy than any other sewer flowmeter on
- No field calibration required -- the user can save valuable time because calibration
in the sewer is not required (the device is already precalibrated to meet National Institute of
Standards and Technology standards).
- Ease of installation -- installers can be in and out of the
sewer in less than ten minutes.
- Increased versatility -- this is the only flowmeter that accurately
operates under all flow conditions (partially filled or full pipe, reverse flow and submerged flow).
The device also provides accurate readings during the transition from partial to full pipe flow.
Examples of Applications and Markets:
The major market for the flowmeter is in municipalities for infiltration/inflow studies, capacity
studies and sewer flow monitoring. Typically, the flowmeter is placed in a sewer line to collect
data for several days or weeks and then moved to another location. Hence, ease of installation is
a very important consideration. Another small, but rapidly emerging market is the area of
monitoring industrial discharges into municipal sewer systems or waterways. The flowmeter has
also been used to measure water use efficiency by comparing wastewater effluent flows to water
use to determine process losses.
Selective field trials completed. This novel product, winner of the prestigious R&D 100 award,
was previously offered by TN Technologies Inc. as the DataGatorTM. U.S. Department of
Agriculture, Phase II developed larger sizes of flow tubes. Related technology -- completed U.S.
Advanced Research Project Agency, Phase I project for wireless communication between
manhole and field.
Patents for the flowmetering technology are available for license or outright sale. YES can
provide contacts who have previously used this device and would like to be able to purchase
- "Apparatus and Technique of Metering Liquid Flow," U.S. Patent No. 4,799,388, issued January
24, 1989; reissue application 07/645,212, January 24, 1991.
- "Portable Wastewater Flow Meter," U.S. Patent No. 4,896,542, issued January 30, 1990; reissue
application 07/828,528, January 29, 1992.
- "Method and Apparatus for Metering Flow in Closed Conduits that Surcharge," U.S. Patent No.
5,199,306, issued April 6, 1993.
- "Method and Apparatus for Pressure and Level Transmission and Sensing," U.S. Patent No.
5,406,828, issued April 18, 1995.
- "Portable Flow Measurement System," U.S. Patent No. 5,423,226, issued June 13, 1995.
- "Apparatus and Technique of Metering Liquid Flow," Japanese Patent No. 2,520,656.Japanese Patent Application No. 62-143112.
- "Distributed, Unattended Wastewater Monitoring System," U.S. Patent Application No.
- Final Report -- The Flumeter, A New Tool For Wastewater Management (research sponsored
by U.S. Department of Energy), May 1988, pp. 39 plus appendices.
- Phase I Final Report -- Portable Flow Measurement System (research sponsored by U.S.
Department of Agriculture), December 1992, pp.43 plus appendices.
- Phase I Final Report -- Distributed, Unattended Storm Water Discharge Monitoring (research
sponsored by U.S. Advanced Research Projects Agency), October 1994, pp. 60 plus appendices.Hunter, R.M., Hunt, W.A., & Cunningham, A.B. (1991a).
- Portable flow meter for sewers that
surcharge. Article presented in Water Environmental & Technology, 3(2), 48-51.
- Phase II Final Report -- Portable Flow Measurement System, (research sponsored by U.S.
Department of Agriculture), August 1996, pp. 39 plus appendices.
- The following three papers will be sent out as a set for the price of one:
- Hunter, R.M., Natarajan, M., & Albrecht, G.A. (1992). A novel flowmeter for open channel and
full pipe sewer flow measurements.
- Paper presented at Instrument Society of America
International Conference, October 18-22.Hunter, R.M., Stewart, F.M., & Kirkland, R.A. (1992). Knowledge-based expert system for
- Paper presented at Water Environment Federation 65th Annual
Conference & Exposition, September 20-24, New Orleans, LA.Hunter, R.M., Stewart, F.M., Boyes, W.H., & Natarajan, M. (1991b). A new technique for
storm sewer flow metering. Water Pollution Control Federation 64th Annual Conference,
Home | Company Profile | Technologies | New | Ordering Literature | Personnel | Links |Contact Us
© 1999-2002 YES Technologies
Tuesday, 12-Jun-2007 15:58:45 EDT